There are nine days left before Maxwell Costes and his fellow Terps begin the 2021 season against Michigan State, and the junior is entering this unique season with a trophy case full of preseason honors. After collecting one preseason honor before the 2020 season — being named a Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-American — Costes brought in seven honors ahead of the 2021 season.
The pomp is warranted, as Costes finished his sophomore campaign hitting .432/.620/.750 and four home runs in 15 games. His 1.370 on-base plus slugging percentage was tops in the Big Ten, while his four home runs were tied for second.
Costes’ preseason praise is highlighted with a spot on the watch list for collegiate baseball’s most prestigious award — the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award. The award is bestowed to the best collegiate player in the country each year, and many of its honorees have evolved into superstars at the major-league level.
Past Golden Spikes Award winners include former MVPs Kris Bryant and Bryce Harper, former Cy Young Award winners Trevor Bauer and David Price, along with many of the league’s young stars.
Although Costes is among 55 total names on the watchlist, the honor speaks to the incredible career he’s had so far at Maryland and what writers expect from him in 2021.
Below are the six other preseason honors that Costes was awarded as the Terps close in on Opening Day:
- 2021 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association First Team Preseason All-American
- 2021 D1Baseball.com Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
- 2021 D1Baseball.com First Team Preseason All-American
- 2021 Perfect Game Preseason All-Big Ten
- 2021 Perfect Game Third Team Preseason All-American
- 2021 Collegiate Baseball Third Team Preseason All-American