Maryland beats Purdue 6-5 despite a 20-hour pause

Maryland tied up the series with Purdue in a game that was put on a 20-hour pause. Maryland had a 6-5 headed into the bottom of the seventh when Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium was evacuated on Saturday.

The game would resume Sunday morning at 10:00, just two hours before Game 3 of the series. 

Purdue was able to pick up where they left off early in this one. Three singles up the middle in the second inning gave them an early 1-0 lead. They would expand the lead to 2-0 in the third when Mike Bolton Jr. scored on a sacrifice groundout.

The Terps were able to answer the second time through the lineup. Eddie Hacopian continued his hot streak with an RBI single. Matt Woods made his return to the lineup and made an immediate impact after hitting an RBI double to tie the game at 2-2.

Similar to last night, Purdue was able to answer quickly. In the next inning, they would put two more runs on the board after another sacrifice groundout and an RBI single.

The back and forth would continue in the bottom of the fourth. With two runners on and no outs, Nick Lorusso hit a three-run bomb to give the Terps a 5-4 lead. The power bats were not done yet, on the very next pitch Matt Shaw hit a solo homer to right field, making it a 6-4 ballgame.

Purdue proved once again that they are dangerous with two outs. Connor Caskenette was able to score after a dropped fly ball to deep center field. This cut the Maryland lead in half with a score of 6-5.

After a couple of scoreless innings, the game was suspended in the middle of the seventh for inclement weather.

Once the game resumed, there was not much going on offensively. The Terps were able to draw a handful of walks but could not bring them around to score.

Nigel Belgrave came in to pitch the eighth and made quick work of the Purdue batters he faced. He would be sent back out in the ninth with the score still at 6-5. After allowing two hits to put runners on second and third with one out, Belgrave picked up two HUGE strikeouts to end the game. 

The win will bring the Terps to 24-15 heading into a pivotal rubber match at noon on Sunday.